- This event has passed.
L1 Inland Foraging Basics Course
April 25 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm£85.00
One-day professional foraging course aimed at outdoor professionals and those who want to take their foraging seriously.
The aim of this course is to not only deliver relevant, in-depth and accessible information about foraging and wild food in the U.K., but also how to pass that information on to others. The target audience for this foraging course includes, but is not limited to:
- Outdoor instructors and other outdoor professionals
- Teachers and educators
- Chefs and food professionals wanting to work with wild food
- Group leaders and coaches who want to integrate wild food education into their sessions
- Parents who want to give their children an education in wild food themselves
- Individuals that want to develop a deep understanding of the wild food available in the UK, and how to use it
The course starts at 9:00am runs through until about 5:00pm and takes place in the woods, fields and along the riverbanks in the countryside north of Ruthin, Denbighshire (see map below).
- Identification of common and safe edible wild plants, trees and fungi
- Foraging throughout the seasons
- Identification of common toxic or dangerous species
- Use of foraging guidebooks and information resources
- UK foraging laws and ethical considerations
- Equipment choice and use (including guidebooks and harvesting equipment)
- Advice for developing lesson plans and sharing knowledge
- The laws on carrying knives and edged tools in the U.K.
- An overview on shooting and fishing laws in the U.K.
- Staying safe when foraging