Basic Navigation Course (L1 EST Framework)
February 29 @ 10:00 am - March 1 @ 4:00 pm£95.00
Two-Day Basic Navigation courses held in North Wales
£95.00 per person
Navigation is one of the most important survival skills for the U.K. Knowing how to find your way safely through our landscape can mean the difference between getting home safely and a cold night on the mountain (or worse). It’s not just about carrying a map and compass at all times – it’s about knowing how to use them, how to plan a route and what to do when things go wrong. The aim of this course is to get you to the point where you can plan and walk a route anywhere in the UK following footpaths and linear features.
This course covers the basics of navigation and is suitable for complete novices, and is also suitable for a refresher for somebody who has previously been on a course. The course is led by an experienced instructor from a mountain rescue background and is run in a relaxed, structured way.
We have been running this course for several years with clients from every background. The majority of students on this course are hikers and hillwalkers, but the content is also suitable for mountain bikers, runners, bushcrafters and paddlers.
Please see below for full course content.
This course is also listed as the Level One Basic Land Navigation course – part of a series of structured navigation training courses under the EST Framework. It follows the same syllabus and structure.
The course takes place in the hills of the Clwydian Range AONB, near the market towns of Ruthin and Mold. The course runs 10:00am-5:00pm on the first day and 9:00am-3:00pm on the second day.
- Commonly available mapping types and scales in UK and Europe
- Latitude and longitude, BNG, grid references and position formats
- Map symbol and contour interpretation
- Compass use and taking bearings
- Measuring distance via timing, pacing and other methods
- Navigating away from paths and linear features
- Strategies for navigating in poor visibility
- Planning safe routes
- Preparing for emergency situations
- February 29 @ 10:00 am
- March 1 @ 4:00 pm
- Event Categories:
- EST Framework Courses, Mountain Courses, Navigation Courses
- Event Tags:
- courses, est framework, hillwalking, mountaincraft, mountains, navigation
- Original Outdoors
- Ponderosa Cafe
Llangollen, Denbighshire LL20 8DR United Kingdom + Google Map