January 2015 Courses from Original Outdoors
Tracking and Night Navigation Courses
The New Year marks the start of our 2015 calendar of outdoor skills and activity courses, and we are starting things off gently with a couple of advertised dates for tracking and night navigation courses:
This is an entry-level human and animal tracking course that takes place in the fields, woodland and footpaths near the small village of Rhewl on the outskirts of Ruthin, Denbighshire.
No specialist equipment is needed other than outdoor clothing and a notepad and pencil, and the course is delivered by experienced outdoor professionals who have taught their skills in a Police, Search and Rescue and Military context.
The course includes:
- Introduction to spotting and interpreting sign
- Sign and shape recognition
- Footprint and gait analysis
- Wildlife ID
- Tracking tools
- Recording and annotating tracks
- Efficient tracking techniques
- SAR tracking
The course costs just £65.00 for the day – you can find out more information here.
Our Night Navigation sessions have always been very popular, and attract a wide range of clients who want to improve their navigation skills in poor visibility – the time when you REALLY need to be able to navigate!
They take place on the forested and rolling moorland slopes of Moel Famau, and course participants only need to bring a compass, headtorch and suitable outdoor clothing for the weather and terrain (we will send you a list). The course is led by a qualified Mountain Leader with a wealth of experience in teaching navigation skills.
The course covers:
- Review and refresh existing skills
- Micro Navigation techniques in reduced visibility
- Pacing and timing across a variety of terrain
- Choice of navigation strategies
- Preserving night vision
- Lighting choices for night navigation (headtorch, hand torch etc)
The course is a bargain at £35.00 for the 4-hour evening session, and you can find out more information here