Search Operations Manager Course (L3)
Management of search operations training for missing persons and vehicles as part of a structured training programme.
The Search Operations Management (L3) Course from Original Outdoors provides advanced training for management of search operations on the ground, working within the wider SAR framework and working alongside other agencies. The content is based upon techniques employed by UK Mountain and Lowland SAR teams, and is appropriate for teams and organisations operating overseas.
Subjects covered in classroom and exercise sessions:
- Take actions upon first-notice of missing person.
- Use lost person behavioural statistics to define the search area and to present likely scenarios.
- Apply search theory to inform the planning process.
- Enable delegates to integrate with a multi-agency search process or stand-alone as required.
- Determine coverage and probability of detection (PoD) from GPS applications and team debrief process.
- Consider when to suspend a search in the event of the missing person not being found (PoS Cumulative threshold).
- Missing person behaviour
- Working within a wider SAR operation and alongside other agencies
- Leadership and supervision of search operations
- Hierarchical command structures and working within a Strategic/Tactical/Operational command system
- Deployment of resources and prioritisation of operations
- Crime scene and major incident procedures
- Control comms procedures
- Briefing, debriefing and information handling
This Search Operations Management training course is delivered by experienced and qualified instructors with military, emergency services or expedition leadership backgrounds.
Please contact us for an immediate quote for delivery of this course anywhere in the UK.
There is a general cost for delivery of the course, plus a per-delegate cost for registration and training materials.
This course can also be delivered in Europe and beyond.
The Search Operations Management (L3) Course is delivered as a three-day course for standalone training.
The course involves a combination of classroom and field training and can be delivered on-site if required.
The course can be delivered at a maximum 1:15 ratio.
Course Dates and Bookings
This course is most often run directly for a client, either on site or at our locations in North Wales. As a standalone course it takes three days to complete.
Please contact us for more information.
EST Course Classification
Search and rescue teams, security professionals, Urban SAR, emergency services.
As a Level Three course within the EST Framework the Search Operations Management course requires some previous subject training for delegates to attend. This can either be through the courses offered by Original Outdoors, or training with external providers.
Within the EST Framework courses offered by Original Outdoors this must be:
- Level One Navigation Training (Basic Land Navigation or equivalent)
- Level One Search Operations Training (Search Operations Technician or equivalent)
Delegates will also need to have experience of direct management of personnel on the ground.
We also strongly recommend that all delegates have some training in use of GPS and emergency medical/first aid training. Both of these will be referred to throughout the course.
For external training please get in touch directly – we are familiar with the training content and provision of most UK providers and we can quickly let you know if your existing training level is suitable for this course.
A good level of general fitness is preferred due to the moderately active nature of parts of the course (walking with rucksack, crossing rough terrain etc)
For private and bespoke courses we can work with your existing PPE (with a required minimum level of protection for the environment we will be training in). We can also provide external evaluation of your existing PPE, and make recommendations if you request it.
For public courses there is a required minimum equipment list on the course page.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this course certificated?
Yes, all successful course participants will receive printed and PDF certificates from their attendance of the course.
Can the course be tailored for a specific application?
We can tailor the course content to suit a specific application or client requirement. Please contact us with what you need.
Do you run open courses for the public?
We do periodically run open courses for individuals to attend. Please contact us for information on cost and dates.